8 Tips for Personal Safety
- Know who you’re dealing with. Take a photo of a client’s I.D. and license plate. A criminal won’t be comfortable with this and may be thwarted.
- Touch base. Always let someone know where you’re going and when you’ll return. Have them call you to check in if possible.
- Don’t get lost. Know the exact address of where you’re going. If you use a navigation app, pull over and stop in a safe place if you’ve made a wrong turn.
- Sense your surroundings. Is there questionable activity in the area of a property you’re showing? Is anyone loitering? Follow your instincts if you feel you should leave.
- Don’t go it alone. Have an associate or other person host open houses with you.
- Park for protection. At open houses, park on the street instead of in the driveway so you can get away quickly if necessary.
- Go on the defense. Learn some self-defense skills. Many health clubs, martial arts studios and community colleges offer basic classes.
- Choose flight over fight. While self-defense is a good idea, the primary goal in any threatening situation is to escape from immediate danger and call for help.
Be safe out there!Source: NAR Realtor Safety Resource Kit.